Your How Too List for shopping this Holiday Season..
As this holiday season gets underway I just wanted to take a few minutes to remind you all of few things to remember when out doing your shopping.
I have said every year I was gonna write a how to/ never do list of things you should and should not do while out shopping at stores and department stores. Now these are just a few of the ones that apply to me but I am sure anyone who has ever worked or is working at these places will understand.
Have you ever just wanted to scream at someone “This is not Burger King and you can’t always get it your way!!!!!!!” LOL If so you must have worked retail at some point in your life….
1. We understand your frustration that there is only one lane open and that you hate self check. Please know we would like more lanes open as well.. In fact we would love to have more help. It is not the cashiers or the CSM’s fault that the store you are shopping at can not get good help.. they are victims as well. Being forced to do the job of 3 people with no more pay. So please be understanding and do not yell them to open more lanes.
2. Not everyone who works at a store knows how to check.. so do not get ticked off if you see people working in a store and they do not rush up front to check you out. I personally think everyone should know how to check, but hey it is not my store nor my rules..
3. If you need to know about an item or if it is in stock please find someone in the department of the item you are looking for. Do not assume a cashier is going to know these things. They are stuck up there on the register all day/night checking people out and do not get to walk around the store or back room. I think sometimes cashiers are just the most visual and thus is why they get asked this stuff.
4. Please be responsible and take your baskets with you when you are done. Please return them to the stall in which you found them. This goes for riding carts as well. Leaving them in line once you are done just clogs up the line and makes it harder for everyone behind you as well as the cashier who has to remove it to take care of the next person.
5. Please check you have everything you have bought before you take off.. nothing is more frustrating then getting home and realizing you left stuff at the store..
6. Please if you decide you do not want something.. give it to the cashier so it can be put back up.. do not just set it aside.. if it is cold stuff it has to go back.. trust me if we have to write it up in the long run it is gonna effect you and me.. Later you’ll be yelling at us about the cost of things.. and all I want to say well there ya go.. you toss stuff we all pay in one way or the other..
7. A little advice.. most departments in stores close down when the even crew go home.. there is no one there for the fitting rooms and we do not have the keys, and do not have time to sit there watching and waiting for you to try on 10 pairs of the same pants. The jewelry department people left at Ten.. so no we can not change your watch battery.. or open the diamond case. There is someone in electronics that can help you maybe.. Sporting goods.. closed. Get your fishing and hunting license early not 3 in the morning when there is NO ONE there to help you!!! The Auto shop is closed.. we can not change your oil or rotate your tires.. nor would you want us to if you really think about it.
8. Please please please get off your phone when you come to check out.. we are busy and it is rude.. plus you really should be keeping an eye on your stuff to make sure your getting the great deals you are suppose to cause some stuff just does not ring up right..
9. If you are using WIC please read your card right and get the items listed. Also check the shelf to make sure the items you are getting are WIC approved. Because we can not make substitutions and someone is gonna have to run back and get the right items, and remember we only have one cashier and do not have the people power to do so.
10. Do not argue with us if we tell you that some items can not be price matched.. yes we know what the commercials say, but we also know what we are told by or managers. We will not price match something that is less then half of the original price.. fresh meats have to be name for name brand only. We will not ad match Wal-mart online items.. and no we will not cash third party checks.
11. If you wait until the day before Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween, or Christmas to come out and shop do not expect to find what you are looking for.. and please do not gripe at your cashier about this.. they have been dealing with people like you ALL day/night. They are there to do a job not be yelled at by you because your wait until last minute to shop…
I am sorry if any of these sound rude.. but in all honesty they are the truth. We try our best to make our customers feel special and that they matter, because they do. Sometimes however they suffer from some entitlement issues and when they do not get what they want or think they deserve right then they blow a gasket. We hate to see unhappy customers.. but working in retail you know from time to time it is gonna happen.
I have one more little piece of advice if your shopping at Wal-mart please know that all the registers HAVE to be changed out at midnight and if your in line thinking you’ll get out quick.. well that will not happen. Also know when your state releases food stamps and stay away from the store on those nights.. we are packed and the lines and attitudes are high…